Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Married to the Bullet:Part-1:The Lonavala Trip

Married to the bullet.
This is a series of trips that I have done on my bullet. First part of the series many more to follow.
Date: Oct 1, 2008
Days of Marriage: 5
Odo at 300 kms


My first long ride was to Lonavla.. a cool…60 kms from Aundh in pune to meet by cousins and my grandswho were on a National trip.. The night before couldn’t sleep thinking about powering her through the highways.

Morning got up even before usual time (that’s new for me) and slowly started the bike and headed my usual way of office. Once I got to the Highway there was nobody stopping me. I revved the bike on the NH (couldn’t take the expressway as the bikes are not allowed) to touch 50, then slowly took her to 60 and then 70 and stopped there bcos it was the run-in period.Well I could see trucks in front of me which u normally dare not overtake on any other bike but here everyone made way for the bullet. It is quite a nice sight to watch when u come on at full throttle and u can view in the rear view mirror of the truck the driver’s eyes lighting up at the sign of the bullet and then gently making way for it.

Took a break a for a cup of chai and revved her on to Lonavala.

Something that you experience on her is the inner peace she gives u when riding her. Have tried lots of bikes but nuthing like the bullet. Once u make the peace with her..you have to be gentle..ofcourse..she responds. It seemed to me like the union of the two souls and in no time I reached lonavala.

They were waiting there near the railway station. It was the first vehicle I owned and I wanted to show my bike off. My mausi (mothers sister) was standing just behind their Qualis and I powered my baby a lil bit and braked hard in front of her, the front tyre screeching to a halt just in front of her .

So all had just one question why this bulky, noisy, oil leaking machine? How can a lean guy like u ride this???
I was well prepared and suggested no better and stable bike on the Indian roads and blah blah.

The best thing is every one wanted a ride on it. The lady who got it was my cousin and the beautiful lass she is, I didn’t disappoint her.

We proceeded to INS shivaji to meet my cousin who works with the Navy and the best part was that he had got his bullet the day before, though he got it 15K cheaper through his canteen service . It was quite a sight to see two brand new bullets parked in tandem.

Left the bullet at the military base and took a quick trip to Aamby valley and got back to Lonavala. Saw Aamby valley from outside and the sunset and proceeded back to the base. From there we got both our bikes and rode back to Lonavala. Here the beautiful pillion made way for a ex-bomb with her chirpy kid.

Said adieu to them and rode my bullet crazy in the night till I literally jumped in the air over a couple of speed breakers mid way. That brought me to my senses and rode safely back home.

No comments: